History of the Lectorium Rosicrucianum
In 1924, the brothers Jan and Z.Wim Leene became members of the American movement Rosicrucian Fellowship, founded in 1909 by Max Heindel. In 1929, they directed the head of the branch in the Netherlands.
Joined by Henriette Stok-Huizer in 1930, they founded together an independent group in 1935 under the name of 'Rozekruisers Genootschap' (Rosicrucian Society); however, they fixed the official date of founding of the Lectorium Rosicrucianum on 24 August 1924, in Haarlem, where its headquarter in now situated..
Rijckenborgh published a book that is based on the seven letters mentioned in the Bible's book of Revelation and entitled Dei Gloria Intacta.
In 1945, the two founders created the School of the Rose-Croix d'Or (Lectorium Rosicrucianum).
In 1954, the group met in France Antonin Gadal, an important figure in the Cathar revival.
In 1957, Mr. Gadal created an archeological museum in Ussat-les-Bains (France), where the Lectorium Rosicrucianum used a field to organize conferences.
After the death of the grandmasters (Jan van Rijckenborgh - 1968, Catharose de Petri - 1990) the direction of the Lectorium Rosicrucianum was entrusted to a panel of 7 members, the "International Spiritual Directorate" (ISD).
Nowadays the Lectorium Rosicrucianum counts about 15.000 pupils and has centres in countries all over the world, including Europe, North America, South America (especially Brazil), Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Jan van Rijckenborgh
Catharose de Petri
What does "the Modern Path" of the Lectorium Rosucrucianum mean ?
Jan van Rijckenborgh and Catharose de Petri studied and reinterpreted the ideas and insights of the “ancient wisdom” for sixteen years – until the Second World War spread to the Netherlands. They referred to the works of the classic Rosicrucians.
The starting point of their thinking was the ideal “goodness, truth and justice”; and their purpose, from the beginning, was to create an active group focused on inner Christianity.
In the challenging years of WW-II (1940 - 1945) they realized that their work would remain unsuccessful, as long as they wanted to accomplish it in the traditional way; or more exactly: as long as the old egoistic self-focused consciousness tried to incorporate itself within the newly gained universal insights, the results would be the same as characterized the 19th Century (distinguished by disagreement and self-exaltation).
The new activity of the Lectorium Rosicrucianujm after the war had to stand in a new sign - the sign of the new soul - which could start to be developed based on the pure spiritual seed lying in the human heart.
God, is light
In the middle of the 1950s Jan van Rijckenborgh and Catharose de Petri opened the “treasury of hermetic wisdom of Hermes Trismegistus” for their pupils. They wished to lead the group to a new life of liberation through self-motivated activity.
In addition, they uncovered the deep insights of the ancient Egyptian wisdom regarding God and humankind. This is one of the main pillars of the Lectorium Rosicrucianum: one who experiences the first soul radiation within him/herself is filled with a deep wisdom, becoming a "pupil of Hermes".
This way, one will be able to gain a deep insight and reinforce the statement: “God, is light”.